Christmas
In the last few days all the Christmas lights have been going up and shops have done wild and decked everything in shiny stuff and lights to get into the festive spirit. It feels like only a couple of months since last Christmas. I'm so not ready for this Christmas yet!!!
I'm on placement for my course and I'm working with nursery and reception in a small infacnt school.Today we told the nursery class (3yr olds) the Christmas story for the first time and they were delighted and could even recount vague details of the story later in the day, which for them is an acheivement. Later that day I was working with 4 and 5 year old and asked why we had Christmas. *blank looks all round* these kids made guesses that included:
-for Christmas (thats kinda given in the question)
- for presents
- because of Christmas
- for Santa
- for Santa's birthday.
- Because it Christmas season
They had been taught in nursery the previous year about the nativity, but these kids had to be told who Jesus even was, and spent the remainder of the day talking about fairy Gabel. hmmm. It made me sad that not one of those kids had a clue who Jesus was. we're supposed to be a Christian country, yet aren't we the only one in the world with a declining Christianity? It doesn't surprise me as day to day I hear and see so much where I can almost imagine God's pain. I don't get people a lot of the time. Especially English people.


5 Comments:
oh! That is one of the cutest stories - but you're right it is also sad. Sad that they don't have the privilege of growing up knowing Jesus better than "Santa"... knowing why we have Christmas etc... Good job with them though Becky. Sounds like a super cute class. Hope they aren't too much of a handful
English people suck. I couldve told you that a long time ago.
Isn't it such a sad shock? I remember when I babysat a 7 year old in my town who had never heard of anything but santa. Quite litterally he had Never heard of Jesus. The name didn't even ring a bell. I was horrified.
I am so glad you had the wonderful blessing of being able to tell those little ones about the Saviour.
You are wonderful. Thanks for the card. Merry (late) Christmas!
You are wonderful. Thanks for the card. Merry (late) Christmas!
Post a Comment
<< Home